Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Weekly Blog Challenge

On Memorable Seasons one of my favorite scrapbooking sites we have started a weekly blog challenge. This weeks blog challenge is to blog about something we did as a child that we are proud about now as an adult.

When I was young both sets of my grandparents lived about 3 hours from us, although there was a big difference, my dads mom and stepdad were doing okay for themselves and were fairly healthy but on the other hand my mom's parents, my grandma and grandpa Yager were not as lucky, they were always struggling to make ends meet and my grandfather had a heart condition and my grandmother not only was a brittle diabetic but also had a severe curvature of the spine.

Whenever we went to visit them which was as often as we could as my parents worried about them and tried to help them out, I would always notice that my grandmothers bathroom was dirty with built up soap scum and the floor was in need of mopping. It made sense since she could not get down to clean the tub or toilet or the floor since her back was so severely curved. So I would quietly go off to the bathroom and clean the bathroom as best as I could for my young age to surprise my grandmother. I can still remember how much I enjoyed doing it for her.

Now when I look back at those days, I am so glad that I did that for her. I was not able to do much else for her but I as sure she knew that I loved her!

9 comments:

Lora3677 said...

awesome memory! you should do a page too!!

mustangkayla said...

Aaww...what a sweet story! I am sure your Grandma appreciated it very much! I agree, I think that is a wonderful memory to scrapbook!

Jen Martakis said...

Thank you for sharing with us Susie. That is a wonderful story and I can only imagine the joy it must have brought to her.

Norma Kennedy said...

Susie Im sitting here in tears reading ur story- How Sweet of u and Im sure that meant the world to ur grandmother !
Norma

Lisa said...

What a great challenge! And what a sweet story, I know that is something that she appreciated and what a great memory for you!

Allison said...

That is so sweet Susie! Great challenge. Man, I love grandmothers. :)

camport said...

what an awesome thing for you to do! My cousin used to do that for my grandma, along with taking down her 80 layers of lace curtains, washing, drying, and rehanging them!

:)

Nikki Bond said...

What a wonderful memory! I'm sure she soooo appreciated all your help! Whenever I think of my Grandmother I also have fond memories of helping her with all her chores on the farm. I loved milking the cows and collecting the eggs. She taught me all I know about gardening too. She holds plenty of wisdom! Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I have to say you have a great blog going to! Love the photos of the grandchildren and the scrapbook pages are beautiful! I'll have to visit awesome for inspiration...I often struggle with scrapbook page ideas! {SMILES}

Trish said...

lovely memory!